Well Rhett Odean Barnum was born on March 9th, 2014. I was 37 weeks 6 days pregnant, so he came just a few days earlier than my other kids. Like my other kids he wanted to cause some excitement with his birth. So here is his story:
On Sunday evening we were sitting in a special church meeting to split our ward. Soon after it started I felt a contraction that was painful, I have a lot of contractions usually but this one was more intense. I looked down at my cell phone and the time said 6:46pm. 5 minutes later I had another intense one, I let myself time one more and then decided we needed to leave the meeting. We got out to the car a little after 7pm. We texted some friends, the Paynes, in our neighborhood to see if they could take our kids and drove the 20 mins home. My labor was escalating quickly and we got our kids changed out of church clothes and sent them off. We got back in the car and knew we would not be able to make it our hospital downtown and decided to drive to the closest one which is about 25 minutes from where we live. My labor continued to get very painful and intense and I was getting scared because I knew baby Rhett was still breech and I didn't know if I was going to have enough time to get prepped for a c-section. We got to the hospital and it took us a few minutes to figure out where to go. The lady in registration of course wanted our info but got me into a wheelchair and upstairs soon after she saw that my contractions were 2-3min apart. In OB triage I was already to the point where I could barely talk, but told them I have fast labors and needed a c-section. This is a smaller hospital so they didn't have a doctor there and had to page someone at home : / They said he was 30 min away...Michael and I started getting really nervous about how we were going to get this baby out. It took the nurses only a few minutes to realize that I'm not joking about having fast labors and they started to scramble to get me an IV etc. They put me in a delivery room and I had a midwife and 3-4 nurses in my room when I told them that I had to start pushing. The pain was excruciating and I kept thinking this baby is not going to be able to get out. My water broke when I started pushing, my second push and his whole body came out, I then lost the urge to push but knew I had to since his head was stuck. The midwife tried to apply some pressure above his head and I finally had another strong contraction and got his head out. He didn't cry immediately and I was so nervous that he was hurt, but finally he did and he started to pink up. In the end he was born at 8:27pm and was breathing and healthy! He only weighed in at 5 lbs 9 oz, my smallest baby yet. I think he knew he needed to be small for his delivery. I can't say that I would choose to go through that again but am so thankful now to be holding a healthy strong little boy. We stayed the night and went home after his 24 check the next night.
He's tiny but a good nurser and has had no breathing problems or jaundice. He is a pretty content baby and will sleep a couple 3 hour stretches at night which is good for my babies : )
WOW!! you are so impressive! thank goodness you KNEW he was coming fast! and he SUCH a beautiful baby! just gorgeous! congrats to you and your family of 6!
ReplyDelete