*Just Ignore this post* I'm just keeping track of the books I read, so I can remember later if I liked them or not.
1. Nefertiti- Michelle Moran
Good, made me want to know more Egyptian history. Descriptions beautiful and story intriguing
2. The Heretic Queen - Michelle Moran
Excellent, sparked an interest in Egyptian history.
3. Handle With Care- Jodie Picoult
Ok, too similar to my sister's keeper, did not like ending.
4. Innocent Traitor- Alison Weir
Pretty good about Lady Jane Grey. Cried at the end.
5. The Lady Elizabeth- Alison Weir
Good account of Elizabeth and her early life.
6. The Lady in the Tower- Jean Plaidy
My last Plaidy novel was pretty dull, so I wasn't excited about reading this one however it was much better. It gave a new perspective on Anne Boleynn, and made her a somewhat sympathetic character. It also presented the possiblity that she really did not do any of the crimes she was accused of, whereas other accounts usually hint that she probably did.
7. Fishers of Men- Gerald Lund
I was not excited to read a church book, since these are my leisure reads however this book was excellent. The storyline was entertaining and left the reader wanting to pick up the next book in the series to see what is going to happen. My only criticism is that some of the lanuage was a littly wordy and more dramatic than real life. Overall loved it.
8. Rachel and Leah- Orson Scott Card
It was ok. As a story I found it interesting however as a literary work it wasn't much beyond simple. I also felt that the language and rhetoric used was much closer to modern times rather than how it would have been in the old testament time period it covered.
9. Come Unto Me- Gerald Lund
Really enjoyed the plot and the development of the characters in the story, however I find the dialouge a little over dramatic and corny. I'm sure people even living in Jesus' day didn't quite speak like that.
10. Memoirs of Cleopatra- Margaret George
This almost 1000 page book was great. I loved learning about Cleopatra from the beginning and learned so much. I always enjoy when authors include an appendix outline any parts of the story that are fictional and review the facts they made their story from. The last 200 pages got long, or maybe it was just not wanting to read that Cleopatra and Antony get defeated.
11. The Secret Confessions of Anne Shakespeare- Arliss Ryan
Great! I loved this story. The novel is definetly fiction since there is not any information on Anne's life, but it is a wonderful imagination of how her story could have gone. I was really sucked in by the story and wanted to finish. There are some PG-13 moments in the beginning but the rest of the book goes smoothly and reads fast.
12. Faith of Our Fathers- Lynn Austin
Good book with a lot of excitement and anticipation. Easy to read quickly. It really brought to life Old Testament times and made the people seem real.
13. Behold the Man- Gerald Lund
Similar to the first two in the series, good story and plot. Rhetoric and conversation too corny at times. Really enjoyed the footnotes at the end of each chapter providing insight to the scriptures.
14. Gods and Kings- Lynn Austin
Loved the story and the setting in old testament times. Really made me think about how hard it would have been to serve Jehovah, with wicked kings in place.
No comments:
Post a Comment