Sunday, February 14, 2010

Anniversaries

Besides Valentines Day, this week has some important days for me.

Feburary 15th is the day Michael and I got engaged 7 years ago. So I wanted to share our story. We had driven down to Las Vegas to stay with his sister Rebekah for the weekend. I didn't know he had gotten a ring yet but we had already decided that we were going to get married a week before. That morning my friend Jenna and I went out to go to the bank, for whatever strange reason neither of us bothered to take our cell phones or ask how to get back to the house. That led to disaster as we were driving around trying to find our way back and the clutch in the car I was driving went out. I of course went into panic mode since we didn't know where we were, didn't have phones and now were on foot. We pushed the car off the side of the road and started walking to try and find our way back to their house. We walked around but never came close to recognizing any of the streets we were on. We even knocked on strangers doors to use their phone, but of course we didn't know Michael or his sister's number by heart so we could only call our own phones and hope that they would pick them up. No one answered our calls so we decided to pray for some much needed divine intervention and I started to become upset that this was the worst day ever. My friend tried to reassure me that it couldn't be the worst day ever (she knew Michael was going to give me my ring that evening). Finally we made it to a store and tried to use the pay phones there. While we were on the phones outside, magically Michael pulled up in a car next to us. They had gone out looking for us and ahh they found us.

That night we went out to eat In N Out burger and then drove to Hoover Dam. We parked and started walking down to where the statues and flags are. On our way a police officer stopped us, since no people were supposed to be walking around the Dam at night but, Michael went over and told him he was going to propose so the officer gave us 10 minutes. Michael got down on one knee and told me that his parents had gotten engaged in that very spot and that he wanted to have a long and happy marriage just like theirs. I of course said yes, and thats the beginning of our happily ever after.

The next important anniversary for me is Feburary 16th. This is the day I got baptized and became a member of the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints 8 years ago. I am so grateful for my membership in the church and know I would not be in this happy place I am without the gospel. My life is so wonderful and complete with the spiritual knowledge I have gained.

To celebrate this Valentine's Day and our anniversaries Michael and I went out on a date to Melting pot. It was expensive, yet very yummy and nice to just sit and enjoyed each other over a long dinner. Here is a pic of us before we went out. Hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

  1. How cute. It always throws me off to see Michael without his glasses on. The Melting Pot is very yummy too. We have gone there twice for our Anniversary. Glad you guys had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwww.... that is such a cute engagement story. :) congrats on both your anniversaries. 8 and 7 years are very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a crazy crazy day. I am so so happy that day had a happy ending. Your baptism was one of the most spiritual days of my lives.

    ReplyDelete